Reasons Switching from Disposable to Cloth Menstrual Pads should be on every woman’s list of things to do!
I was never much of a maxi pad person and like cloth diapers, I wrote off cloth menstrual pad use as gross and too much work. “Ain’t no one got time for that!” I thought. Well I don’t have a problem admitting I was wrong, dead wrong, about both. You all know it took me all of 2.2 seconds after receiving my first cloth diaper in the mail to become a full fledged addict. While my experience with cloth pads was not love at first sight, it was however love at first use.
I can now say that cloth pads have infiltrated my menstrual routine and depending on my plans for that week, I may or may not use my cloth menstrual pads most of the time. Being a Floridian, trips to the beach are a common and often spontaneous occurrence and my menstrual cup is still my go-to choice for day trips and especially beach trips, but now I’ve got the cloth pad fever and for the first time in history, I looked forward to getting my last cycle!
Here’s my list of TEN Reasons Your Might Enjoy Switching from Disposable to Cloth Menstrual Pads
1. You’ll actually look forward to getting your period. As mentioned above, I actually looked forward to getting my cycle for the first time in my life since my husband got a vasectomy. Why? Because I had fluffy, soft, new cloth pads to use of course!
2. They come in tons of cute prints and luxurious fabrics. My cloth pads are from Pink Lemonade Shop where you can find cloth pads made from Organic Cotton, Organic Bamboo Velour, Jersey, RAW Silk, Polyester, Minky and more. Trust me, once you have one of these plush pads between your legs you’ll never want to use a disposable pad again!
3. They’ll save you money. Cloth pads can be reused for years and will eliminate your need to purchase disposable pads which saves you a ton of money in the long run.
4. They’re easy to wash. Because I have a family of five I do laundry daily. I simply rinse my used pad in the bathroom sink, wring it out and toss into the washer to be washed with our next load of laundry. It’s that easy!
5. They’re non-toxic and fragrance free. I don’t know if it’s just me or what, but I can smell a woman wearing a scented disposable pad from across the room. The chemical fragrance is that strong to me. Forego the toxic fragrances and absorbency enhancing chemicals and switch to chemical-free cloth pads!
6. No trips to the store! It never fails, the store is out of your preferred style of pad or tampon and no one likes switching to a new brand on the fly. With cloth pads there’s no chance the store will be out of your brand, style or absorbency because there will be no more trips to the store!
7. Less drying and more comfortable. Disposable pads and tampons can feel irritating and extra drying on sensitive skin and if you’re already experiencing dryness then there’s nothing comfortable about using products that will suck you dry!
8. Great for light incontinence too. It’s not uncommon for women to experience light incontinence, especially after the birth of their children. Often they will opt for a light pantyliner daily just for those accidental leaks caused by exercise, sneezing or laughter. Cloth Pantyliners are thin, absorbent and give you both comfort and peace of mind so you don’t have to worry about unexpected leaks.
9. Thong shaped! Thong shaped pantyliners are perfect for incontinence as mentioned above and great for use as backup with menstrual cups
10. Support small business! Cloth Pad manufacturers like Pink Lemonade Shop are mom-owned and employ other, often stay-at-home-moms, who sew their cloth pads from the comfort of their own homes in the USA!
So what do you think? Are you ready to give cloth pads a try? Shop at Pink Lemonade Shop and save 10% with code CLOTHDIAPERGEEK at checkout.
*This post does contain Affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my work-at-home-mom owned business. <3
I’m Julie, a former cloth diaper retailer who discovered a passion for the industry. Now, instead of selling cloth diapers, I advocate them and promote small businesses I love who sell and manufacture them.
I’m the wife of a fireman and mother of three. I have a 13yr old daughter and identical twin sons who are 10yrs old.